Mask of Pride
Every day I get caught up in my daily life, I forget that some of the most powerful and inspiring poetry is not just about every day life. It's about living, feeling, and most importantly emotion. Anybody can write a rhyming phrase that sounds good, but a poet digs within his or herself and writes what hurts them most to write, the dirty grimy stuff that they don't want to show the world. Recently I realized that my was not digging into the depths of me, instead I was writing halfheartedly with no empowering emotion. So, today I bring you a poem that is full of my emotion.
Mask of Pride
I walked up the street with my head held high,
I had no shame only my pride.
Pride the one thing that held me together,
To get me up off the ground when I was under the weather.
No matter the day, night, or time
I showed it not, my mask of pride.
Pride covered my sadness, hurt, and anger.
It helped me live my life and stay put together.
When ever I fell, was beaten, or oppressed,
My pride and fake smiles helped me feel no regret.
So, when I walk up the street with my head held high,
You wont see the broken parts of me inside.
Because those parts of me,
I hold on tight and hide.
I show only the best parts of my life,
While those parts that I hate,
I let them rot, buried deep inside.
Written By Evelyn Creon

Comments
Post a Comment